We are stick in our homes. The global pandemic, Covid-19, has impacted every area of life and thousands of millions across the globe. People are limited to homes, and most of the businesses are shut down.
It is the time when every single person shall be cautious about hygiene. Your herein is not only limited to hand washing or disinfecting your home, the good kitchen hygiene is also important in the current scenario.
The Covid-19 virus spreads rapidly. The virus comes from a humongous family of viruses that directly attacks the respiratory system of a person. It means that we have to stay safe and keep the virus out of our homes and kitchen to keep our loved ones protected.
This article is focused on two sections: the first section would guide you on what food items to include in your daily diet to stay protected, and the second section is more focused on how to keep your kitchen clean and safe.
Healthy Diet Tips:
First, let’s discuss some healthy diet tips that would help to build a strong immune system. These tips are:
- Eat green vegetables. A diet is not considered healthy without green vegetables. These can protect you from obesity, heart disease, high blood pressure, and depression even.
Benefits of eating green veggies:
Green veggies are an important part of a daily diet. They are full of vitamins, minerals, and fibre and the best thing about them is that they are low in calories. So if you want to take control of weight or if you want to stay healthy, include green vegetables in your diet. Eating green vegetables like spinach, broccoli, and peas can provide multiple benefits related to physical and mental health that reduces the chances of getting obese and minimizes the risk of heart disease and high blood pressure.
They are abundant with:
- Consume a diet that builds a stronger immune. These are also good for healthy shiny skin and strong nails. No one wants to be ill every other day. So if you consume a nutritious diet, you can keep yourself self-protected from multiple kinds of diseases, diarrhoea and food poisoning are among the two of them.
- Try to eat foods that help you protect yourself from various diseases. For instance, garlic is good to fight against the common cold. It is because it has a compound that fights against cold. It is named allicin, which has anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. Turmeric that is an important ingredient of our food, is also anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant. Talking about ginger, it is also a healthy food item that keeps you away from the problems of the respiratory system. Chew a piece of ginger every day to make your immune system stronger enough to resist the Covid-19 virus.
- Drink loads of water. It would flush away any toxins present in your body. Drink 8 to 10 glasses of water daily. To stay healthy, I would suggest drinking a glass of warm water with a lemon added to it in the morning. This morning habit would keep you protected from a bunch of diseases.
Kitchen Cleanliness and Safety Tips:
Below are some of the crucial steps that you can take to keep your kitchen free from any virus or bacteria. It makes sure anything you cook is healthy, and your kitchen is hygienic so that you are protected from the deadly virus.
- I would suggest cooking at home. It is the first step that you can take for your protection. If you are a foodie and love to dine out, this time, you shall change your eating habits- at least for some months. Food cooked at home is cleaner, well-cooked, and healthy too. It does not mean, try our new recipes every day or eat fancy dishes. You can cook something you like and fit. White boiled rice with green veggies is a good option.
- Of course, we all know hand washing is an important protective measurement against the Covid-19. Wash your hands with a block of anti-bacterial soap for at least 20 seconds. Clean your hands before touching the food items in the kitchen.
- Enjoy your cooking. It means given enough time to let the food cook. If food is not cooked properly, it gets bacterized, and that can lead to food poisoning. Did you know that when you cover the food with a glass lid while cooking, the food does not lose its vitamins?
- Clean the top of your kitchen counters after every 3 to 4 hours. Also, disinfect them. Make it a daily practice, even if you are not cooking anything at home.
- Another important tip is to get away from cross-contamination. By cross-contamination, I always use different cutting boards to cut veggies, fish, meat, or even bread. Make sure the cutting boards are neat and clean before use.
- Keep the kitchen shelves, dishes and cutlery set clean to stop the spread of bacteria or any virus.
- Clear the kitchen litter daily. Leftover food in the bin decomposes, and this gives room for bacteria and viruses to spread. Remember, most of the diseases start from the kitchen!
- Keep the kitchen sink clean. Also, the sides dry.
- Keep the fridge clean. Do not overload it. If you are not eating something kept in your fridge, dispose of it off.
Above all, the safety of your home and kitchen is something really important. You cannot compromise on it. Just the way you are taking protective measurements against the Covid, it is also important to make your kitchen a safe place. When moving into a new house, make sure to get the gas safety certificate for it. It means that all the gas appliances are in working condition, and there is no gas leakage. A kitchen is the most commonplace, where almost all of the gas appliances are found.
|Andrew Napolitano joined Mintz & Gold, L.L.P. in June 2009 after 25 years of practicing law in the complex commercial litigation, white collar criminal defense, and appellate advocacy fields, and after eight years on the Superior Court bench in New Jersey.
Covid-19 time is a tough time for all of us. People are limited to their homes and almost zero social gatherings, but they are also afraid of catching the virus. It is good to take all the safety measurements to keep yourself and your loved ones protected. But what about your kitchen? If not, I am sure the above kitchen safety tips and important food to add to your diet must have given you an idea of how to proceed.